There are several signs that it might be time to replace your gutters:
- Your gutters are sagging or pulling away from your home. This can be a sign that they are too heavy or that they are not properly secured. A lot of older gutters were installed with smooth nails which give them nothing to grip with. Over time they work themselves out of the wood and your gutters pay the price.
- You notice leaks or water damage around your home. If your gutters are not functioning properly, water can overflow and cause damage to your home’s foundation, walls, and roof. Make sure your gutters are sloped properly to optimize the drainage flow to the downspouts.
- You see rust or holes in your gutters. These are common defects that can weaken the structure of your gutters and make them less effective at directing water away from your home.
- Your gutters are clogging frequently. If your gutters are constantly clogged with debris, it can be difficult for them to function properly. Get your gutters cleaned regularly or look into having gutter screens installed if this is a common reoccurance.
- Your gutters are more than 20 years old. Over time, gutters can become worn and less effective at directing water away from your home. If your gutters are older, it might be time to consider replacing them as they are typically beyond repair.
If you notice any of these signs, it might be time to consider replacing your gutters. It’s always a good idea to consult with a professional to assess the condition of your gutters and recommend the best course of action.